German Potato Recipes
Search the Best Potato Recipes Site:
German Potato Salad and German Potato Pancakes are Two of Our Favorites
Here is a growing collection of German potato recipes. German potato pancakes and German potato salad are well represented.
Hot German Potato Salad
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 package Dehydrated Scalloped Idaho Potatoes, reserve sauce mix
- 2 1/4 cups boiling water
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon
- 6 scallions or green onions, tops included, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 hard boiled eggs, riced* or diced.
- In a 3-quart saucepan combine potatoes, 2 1/4 cups water and mustard seeds. Bring to boil; simmer for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Set aside.
- In small bowl combine reserved sauce packet, dry mustard, sugar, 1/2 cup water and vinegar. Set aside. Fry bacon until crisp; crumble and set aside. Discard all but 4 tablespoons fat. Quickly sauté onions just to heat through. Add mustard-vinegar mixture; mix well. Carefully fold in potatoes including liquid and crumbled bacon. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and riced eggs or diced eggs.
*To rice hard-cooked eggs, separate whites from yolks and grate separately with cheese grater. Old Fashioned Hot German Potato Salad
Recipe courtesy of John Brite, CEC, Capital University, Bexley, OH/Parkhurst Dining Services/Photo Courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission
More: German Potato Salad Recipes
German potato pancakes: our
most requested German potato recipes.
We have more on another page however thought you might enjoy this stunning German potato recipe that will amaze your family and guest.
German Potato Pancakes with Mashed Idaho® Potatoes, Caramelized Apples and Sage Infused Honey
Yield: 22-26 Pancakes
German Potato Pancakes:
- 6 cups frozen shredded Idaho® potatoes, thawed
- 4 beaten eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 cup grated onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Oil for frying
Mashed Idaho® Potatoes:
- 3 cups of your favorite mashed Idaho® potato recipe
- 4 pieces bacon
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons butter
2 spicy-sweet, crisp apples (Jonagold or Honeycrisp), cored and sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Sage Infused Honey:
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 to 1 cup of chopped sage
Mesh bag for sage
German Potato Pancakes:
- Saute grated onion in butter over medium heat until translucent. Remove from heat and cool.
- Thaw and drain shredded hashbrown potaotes. Mix flour, baking powder, salt and peper. Add to potaotes along with eggs and onion. If batter is too thin, add a little more flour.
- Drop by rounded #2 scoops into 1/4-inch deep hot fat in heavy skillet. Cook over medium heat until golden brown. Turn over and brown other side.
- Drain on paper towels and keep warm.
Mashed Idaho Potatoes:
- Combine all ingredients 2. Reserve warm for topping German potato pancakes.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the apples to the pan and sprinkle with brown sugar. Saute the apples, stirring frequently, for 6-8 minutes.
- Sprinkle the apples with the nutmeg. Toss the mixture gently and cook over medium heat for an additional 2 minutes, until the sugar begins to caramelize and the apples are crisp-tender.
Sage Infused Honey:
- Using a double boiler add honey.
- Add the mesh bag of sage.
- Heat the mixture at 180* for 10-12 minutes. Remove the mesh bag then place the mixture in a jar.
Top German potato pancake with 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of mashed potatoes and a few slices of caramelized apple. Drizzle with the sage infused honey. A chiffonade of sage may also be used as garnish.
More German Potato Recipes: German Potato Pancake Recipes
Best Potato Recipes Books
All Clad Cookware Sets
Best Potato Recipes Books
What are Your Favorite
We know that everyone has a favorite potato recipe because, in most families, potatoes are served several times each week. What are your favorite potato recipes? Share them!
Best Potato Recipes Home Page
Save 50-80% off on Dining, Entertainment, Travel and Retail! Shop Now
Potato Recipes Site Map
Electric Potato Peeler
300 Best Potato Recipes: A Complete Cook's Guide:
Potatoes are just about everyone’s favorite side dish. This book includes dozens of recipes, and ways to cook potatoes, for every part of a meal from breakfast through appetizer, main course, and even dessert.
Fun With Potatoes - Mr. Potato Head
About Me and Best Potato Recipes
Amazon Associates Disclosure
- Judith Ramsey is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Thank you for supporting this site so I can continue to bring you Best Potato Recipes.