Baked Potato Salad Recipe
Our Favorite Loaded Baked Potato Salad
A baked potato salad recipe is loaded with the tasty goodness of potatoes, cheese, bacon and mouthwatering flavorings.
Search the Best Potato Recipes Site:
This potato salad adds some tasty twists to traditional potato salad recipes.
We've tried several versions of this recipe however were always confused about the directions. Almost all of the recipes for baked potato salad began with "boil the potatoes."
There was no place in the process for baking either the potatoes or the entire recipe.
Trying the recipe by baking and dicing large baking potatoes...oven baked...did produce somewhat satisfactory results.
The "magic" happened when we tried oven roasting our diced potato pieces and, finally, achieved that lovely baked potato flavor we were looking for.
So here are three versions of this recipe: using oven roasted potato pieces, baking and dicing whole baking potatoes and, finally, a recipe using boiled potatoes.
Whichever baked potato salad recipe appeals to you most, you will have a delicious result.
Roasted Baked Potato Salad
- 2 1/2 pounds potatoes peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 slices thick cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 package Ranch dip mix
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Chopped chives (to taste)
- Peel the potatoes (we like red potatoes for this recipe), and cut them into "bite size" pieces.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees
- Place the cut potatoes on a baking pan and spray with cooking spray (we use and olive oil spray).
- Roast the potatoes until they are golden brown and just "fork tender." (cooking times will vary depending on how big or small you have cut your potatoes. In our oven this step takes about 30 minutes.)
- Set the roasted potato pieces aside while you prepare the dressing.
- Dressing Preparation: In a large mixing bowl combine the sour cream, mustard, mayonnaise and dry Ranch dressing mix .
- Toss the potatoes in the prepared dressing; stir to coat.
- Cover and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- When you're ready to serve, stir in the bacon and cheese, top with chives, and enjoy!
Baked Potato Salad Recipe
Using Baking Potatoes
You can, of course use a baked potato salad recipe that begins with baking whole potatoes. It is equally tasty.
- 2 pounds Russet potatoes; scrub and prick the skins with the tip of a sharp knife
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup chopped green onions
- Scrub your potatoes and place them on a baking sheet in your over. Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until they are tender when pricked with a knife tip.
- At this point you can remove the potato peelings (let them cool enough so you don't burn your fingers.)
- Dice the cooked potatoes in to "bite size" pieces.
- Chill potatoes in your refrigerator for several hours.
- In a large bowl combine the potatoes, shredded cheese, sour cream, and mayo.
- Place in a serving bowl and top with crumbled fried bacon and chopped green onion.
- Enjoy your tasty baked potato salad recipe!
Baked Potato Salad Using Boiled Potatoes
We love the buttery color of Yukon Gold potatoes in this baked potato salad. Feel free to substitute white potatoes of your choice.
- 2 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes(about 6 medium sized potatoes) or white potatoes of your choice. (Peeled)
- 6 - 8 slices of bacon: fry cut into small pieces.
- 4 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 - 5 hardboiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup of white or yellow onion - chopped into small pieces
- 2 medium stalks of celery - chopped into small pieces
- 2 green onions - chopped into small pieces
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Sprinkle of paprika
- Add enough water in a large cooking pot to cover the potatoes. Heat, covered, on high until water boils. Reduce heat to medium/low and simmer until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork or knife tip. (about 25 - 30 minutes).
- Drain the water from the cooked potatoes and allow them to cool completely. (place them in the refrigerator to speed the cooling process.)
- Cut potatoes into cubes and place in a large bowl.
- Add the shredded cheese, chopped eggs, and chopped celery.
- In another bowl, combine the dressing ingredients: mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Fold the dressing into the potato mixture. Mix gently.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least four hours.
- Remove from refrigerator and top with crispy bacon and chopped green onion.
All Clad Stainless Cookware
Potato Salad Recipes
All Clad Cookware Sets
Best Potato Recipes Books
What are Your Favorite
We know that everyone has a favorite potato recipe because, in most families, potatoes are served several times each week. What are your favorite potato recipes? Share them!
Best Potato Recipes Home Page
Save 50-80% off on Dining, Entertainment, Travel and Retail! Shop Now
Potato Recipes Site Map
Electric Potato Peeler
300 Best Potato Recipes: A Complete Cook's Guide:
Potatoes are just about everyone’s favorite side dish. This book includes dozens of recipes, and ways to cook potatoes, for every part of a meal from breakfast through appetizer, main course, and even dessert.
Fun With Potatoes - Mr. Potato Head
About Me and Best Potato Recipes
Amazon Associates Disclosure
- Judith Ramsey is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Thank you for supporting this site so I can continue to bring you Best Potato Recipes.