Twice Baked Potato Recipe with Sausage
Fix this twice baked potato recipe with sausage and cheese for a hearty side dish or a baked potato recipe that can be a meal in itself.
Twice-Baked Idaho® Potatoes With Sausage & Cheese
Lower-fat ingredients make this seemingly decadent dish "doable" for most diets.
Yield: 8 Servings
Estimated Cost per Serving*: 1.25
- 8 large Idaho® potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (optional, for a softer-skinned potato)
- 12 ounces ground turkey sausage
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) margarine or butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Pinch white pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped chives (optional)
- 1 8-ounce package reduced-fat, shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Pierce potatoes with a fork several times. Rub potato skins with olive oil if a softer potato skin is desired. Bake potatoes directly on the middle oven rack for 50 - 60 minutes or until they yield to gentle pressure.
- While the potatoes are baking, cook the turkey sausage. Drain the sausage, crumble it and set aside.
- While potatoes are still hot (use oven mitt to hold potato), cut them in half lengthwise. Scoop out the interior flesh of the potato into a medium-sized bowl, leaving a shell about 1/4-inch thick all around. Using a potato masher, mash the potato flesh.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat milk until hot but not boiling. Add milk to potato a little at a time, mashing it together each time. Mix in butter and mash all until smooth. Add salt, white pepper and chives, if desired, and mix together thoroughly. Stir in the shredded cheese and sausage.
- Turn oven to 400° F. Using a spoon, gently fill the potato shells with the potato mixture, mounding it up high. Place filled potatoes on a baking sheet, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired and bake for 18 - 20 minutes or until hot.
Estimated Nutritional Analysis per Serving:
476 calories, 21 g fat, 48 g cholesterol, 738 g sodium, 18 g protein, 53 g carbohydrates.
* The Estimated Cost per Serving is a calculated estimate based on a national food average and assumes the preparer already has ingredients like salt, pepper, cooking oils, assorted spices/condiments and other traditional staples readily available in the home kitchen.
Photo and recipe courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.
Baked Potato Recipes
Twice Baked Potato Recipe
Twice Baked Potato Recipe 2
Twice Baked Potato Recipe with Vegetables
Twice Baked Potato Recipe with Steak
Twice Baked Potato Recipe with Grilled Lobster
Twice Baked Potato Recipe with Blue Cheese
Site Build It Overview:
Site Build It is the website builder I use. There are lots of website building programs on the market. Some are cheaper. None...no one...offers the tools, the support, and the ongoing innovation you will get with SBI. They don't just help you build a website; they help you build your business.
300 Best Potato Recipes: A Complete Cook's Guide:
Potatoes are just about everyone’s favorite side dish. This book includes dozens of recipes, and ways to cook potatoes, for every part of a meal from breakfast through appetizer, main course, and even dessert.
Potato Recipes Site Map
Electric Potato Peeler
About Me and Best Potato Recipes
Best Potato Recipes Home Page
Amazon Associates Disclosure
- Judith Ramsey is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Thank you for supporting this site so I can continue to bring you Best Potato Recipes.