Search the Best Potato Recipes Site:
Add Shepherd Pie Recipes to Your Menu Your Family Will Love Them
Shepherd pie recipes are traditionally Irish potato recipes using mashed potatoes with a meat filling. The Irish use lamb for these potato recipes; we often choose beef. Whatever your choice, this is a casserole recipe you will be asked to make again and again.
Here are the recipes; one is "fancy and wonderful for a special meal;" others are more basic and easy to make for any meal.
Idaho® Potato Shepherd's Pie
Recipe courtesy of Brewski's, San Diego, CA
- 3 ounces Heavy Cream
- 4 Medium Russet Potatoes
- 2 pounds Ground or Chopped Beef (cooked)
- 6 ounces Diced Carrots
- 1/4 ounces Fresh Garlic
- 3 Chopped Sage Leaves
- 1/4 ounces Chopped Thyme
- 1 ounce Olive Oil
- 12 ounces Beef Stock
- 3 ounces Celery Diced
- 6 ounces Onion Diced
- 3 ounces Leek Finely Chopped
- 6 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 ounce Parsley
- 2 ounces Roux
- 3 ounces Red Wine (Merlot)
- 2 ounces Butter
- Peel and boil potatoes in chicken stock.
- Strain and mash with butter, cream, and salt and pepper to taste
- Let cool at room temperature.
- In a white hot pan add celery carrots, leeks, and onion. Sear for 2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add olive oil, meat, herbs, and garlic Cook until well done
- Deglaze with wine and add beef stock and parsley.
- Reduce liquid in half.
- Add roux, cool.
- Combine mixture with beef and place in oven proof Ramekins.
- Pipe (pastry bag) potatoes 3/4 inch thick on top of beef mixture.
- Cover completely. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
- Finish with grated Asiago cheese
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
The Ultimate Casseroles Book: More than 400 Heartwarming Dishes from Dips to Desserts
Traditional Irish Shepherd's Pie Recipe
- 2 pounds lamb chops trimmed and boned
- 1 pound of fresh mushrooms
- 2 T. flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 3 T. olive oil
- 3 large shallots; minced
- 3 large garlic cloves; minced
- 1 bay leaf; chopped fine
- 1 3/4 cups beef stock
- 1 T. tomato paste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the lamb into 1/2 inch pieces and chop the mushrooms into small pieces.
- Combine the flour, salt, pepper and allspice in a large bowl. Add the lamb and and stir together until the meat is well coated.
- Heat 2 T. of olive oil in a large frying pan to which you add the lamb/flour/seasoning mixture. Fry gently until lamb is browned.
- Place in a bowl and add 1 T. olive oil to the frying pan. Saute the garlic and shallots in the oil then add the mushrooms and bay leaf. Continue to fry and stir until well browned.
- Add the lamb mixture to the ingredients that are in the frying pan. Mix in the tomato paste and beef stock. Cover the pan and simmer on low-medium heat for about 45 minutes or until the meat is tender. Remove the cover and continue to heat for several more minutes until the juice thickens.
- Place the lamb mixture in a 9 inch baking dish and spoon the mashed potato mixture on top. Spread the potatoes to cover the lamb.
- Bake the shepherd pie for about 30 minutes and until it begins to brown. Garnish with chopped chives if desired and serve.
- You can use leftover mashed potatoes or make them fresh. Here's how:
- 4 Large potatoes; we prefer Russets
- 2 T. butter
- 2 T. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 T. chopped parsley
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 c. whole milk or cream
- Peel and cut potatoes into even-sized chunks. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the potatoes. Cook until tender; check for doneness be testing with a fork.
- Drain the potatoes and mash with a potato masher adding the cream, butter, cheese, salt, pepper, paprika and parsley.
Poor Man's Shepherd Pie
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 medium onion; diced
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans tomato soup
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn (drained)
- 3 -4 cups mashed potatoes (you can use instant for convenience)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cheese, shredded
- Brown ground chuck with diced onions and seasonings.
- Add tomato soup and corn.
- Top with mashed potatoes and shredded cheese.
- Place in oven at 350 degrees F. just until cheese melts.
Back to Irish Potato Recipes
Vacation Rentals Worldwide
Potato Recipes Site Map
Electric Potato Peeler
300 Best Potato Recipes: A Complete Cook's Guide:
Potatoes are just about everyone’s favorite side dish. This book includes dozens of recipes, and ways to cook potatoes, for every part of a meal from breakfast through appetizer, main course, and even dessert.
Fun With Potatoes - Mr. Potato Head
About Me and Best Potato Recipes
Best Potato Recipes Home Page
Amazon Associates Disclosure
- Judith Ramsey is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Thank you for supporting this site so I can continue to bring you Best Potato Recipes.