Potato Wine Recipe
For something really different, try making a potato wine recipe. You can use potato wine in similar ways as you use vodka though potato wine has a much lower alcohol content.
Photo Courtesy of John Wills
10 pounds white potatoes
2½ pints white grape juice concentrate
35 pints water
1 1¼ pounds sugar
15 teaspoons acid blend
2½ teaspoons tannin
5 teaspoons nutrient
1 package wine yeast
- Scrub potatoes until they are completely clean. Slice potatoes and boil until they are just tender.
- Separate the boiled potatoes from the liquid. Save the potatoes for other uses and retain the potato water for the wine. Place the potato liquid into the primary fermenter.
- Add all other ingredients except the yeast. Stir and cover.
- When the mixture has cooled to below 85° (check with thermometer), add the yeast. Cover.
- Stir once every day and check Specific Gravity.
- When the fermented mixture reaches a Specific Gravity of 1.040 (this will take 3 - 5 days) strain the liquid. Siphon the wine from the sediment into a 6.5 gallon glass secondary fermenter. Attach airlock.
- When ferment is complete (S.G. has reached 1.000 -- about 3 weeks) siphon off sediment into clean 5 gallon glass secondary fermenter. Reattach airlock and set aside to ferment out.
- Rack after 60 days, top up and reattach airlock. When wine clears, rack again, top up and reattach airlock. After 4 months, stabilize and rack into bottles.
*Potato wine improves greatly with keeping. Your potato wine recipe needs at least eighteen months to two years to mature.
Potato Lefse Recipe
Potato Bread Recipe
Types of Potatoes
Best Potato Recipes Home Page