Potato Peel Recipes
Make tasty potato peel recipes including a potato recipe for potato peel pie. Here is the basic "how to" for making a potato peel snack:
- Save the potato peels from raw, boiled or baked potatoes. (be sure your potatoes were scrubbed clean!)
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.
- Cut the potato peelings into 3 by 1 inch strips.
- Arrange the potato peel strips in a single layer on a buttered baking dish
- Dot the potato peels with unsalted butter, using 1 tablespoon for each cup of peels, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake the potato peels until crisp. It will take 15 - 20 minutes for raw potato peels; 15 - 20 minutes for boiled potato peels; 5 - 8 minutes for baked potato peels.
- Serve as a snack or hors d'oeuvre with your favorite dip or sprinkle with shredded cheese while hot.
Our favorite potato peeling tool is the Rotato Potato Peeler.
Photo Courtesy The Idaho Potato Commission
Fried Parmesan Potato Peel Recipe:
Thick peelings from 3 pounds of Yukon Gold or russet potatoes (cut into roughly 1-by-3-inch strips)
3 cups canola oil
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons snipped chives
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Preheat your oven to 350°.
In a large saucepan over moderately high heat, heat the canola oil to 360°.
Deep fry the potato peelings in batches, stirring occasionally, until browned and crispy...2 to 3 minutes for each batch.
Use a slotted spoon to transfer each batch of fried potato peels to paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with salt.
Place the fried potato peels to a baking sheet and sprinkle them with grated Parmesan cheese.
Bake for 3 to 4 minutes or just until the Parmesan cheese is melted.
***Dip: In a blender or food processor, puree the sour cream with the chives, salt and pepper until the chives are finely chopped.
Transfer the dip to a bowl and serve with the crispy potato peels.
One of my favorite books in recents years is The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Just because it had "potatoes" in the title, I had to get it...and totally loved it. That took me on a search for an actual potato peel pie recipe and here is what I found:
Potato Peel Pie Recipe:
2 cups raw, grated potato peels for crust(add some of the white part to keep the texture somewhat tender).
Mashed potatoes for filling
1/3 cup grated onion
1 egg, beaten
3 Tbs flour
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and butter a small pie plate.
Combine grated potato peels with egg, onion and flour. Press the mixture into the pie plate and up the sides to form a crust. Bake crust for 20-25 minutes.
While the potato peel crust is baking, cook potatoes, drain and mash. Add your favorite mashed potato flavorings of choice: garlic, onion, milk, butter, salt, etc.
Fill potato peel crust with the mashed potatoes. Lower oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake for 10 minutes or until browned.
Related Links:Best Potato Recipes Home Page
How to Peel Potatoes
Potato Skins Recipes
Ways to Cook Potatoes