Swedish Hasselback Baked Potatoes
Hasselback Potatoes w/ Garlic, Lemon & Rosemary
4 medium russet potatoes
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, halved
1 teaspoon rosemary leaves, do not chop leaves
zest of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 teaspoon rosemary leaves , finely chopped for garnishInstructions:
1. Preheat oven to 450˚F. Line a baking pan with foil. While oven is heating, prepare potatoes. Cut a small thin slice off one long side of each potato. This will give a flat surface so potatoes will not roll around.
2. Place a potato on a work surface with the cut side down. With a sharp knife cut thin vertical slices from one end to the other, cutting almost all the way through, but being careful not to cut all the way through. You can place small wooden dowels, or chopsticks on either side of the potato to keep your knife from slicing through. For me, it works better to just take a bit of care with each cut and to use a very sharp knife.
3. Combine olive oil, butter, rosemary leaves and garlic in a small microwave safe bowl. Cook on high for 30 seconds, stir and cook another 30 seconds. Remove from microwave, add lemon zest and set aside.
4. With your hands, rub potatoes all over with a bit of olive oil. Arrange potatoes on prepared pan. Place in preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and brush all over with about half of the olive oil/butter mixture, separating the slices slightly with a knife to get some of the oil mixture between the slices. Return to oven for another 15 minutes and repeat brushing with oil.
5. Return potatoes to oven for 15 minutes. At this point you should have used up most of the oil/butter mixture and should have just the rosemary and garlic left in the bowl. Add one tablespoon of butter to bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds.
6. After the 3rd 15-minute stint in the oven, remove potatoes, brush with the melted butter and sprinkle generously with sea salt. Bake for another 10-20* minutes or until crisp and golden on the exterior and soft of the inside. Remove from oven, sprinkle with chopped rosemary and serve.
* ~ Total baking time is approximate. It will depend on the size and density of your potatoes along with your oven. Total baking time is 55-65 minutes.
Potatoes are just about everyone’s favorite side dish. This book includes dozens of recipes, and ways to cook potatoes, for every part of a meal from breakfast through appetizer, main course, and even dessert.